ProFTPd is a powerful FTP server. It has a very simple configuration file (/usr/local/etc/proftp.conf) that allows for easy customization. Unfortunately if you type yum install proftpd, a default CentOS install will return you “No package proftpd available.” The following is an easy tutorial on how to get ProFTPd on CentOS 6.
- You will first want to remove any FTP servers currently installed. This will minimize conflicts.
- Next, you will need to get the ProFTPd tarball. The current version is 1.3.4a
- Move it to /usr/src and untar it.
mv proftpd-1.3.4a.tar.gz /usr/src
tar -zxcf proftpd-1.3.4a.tar.gz
- You will now want to go into the newly created directory and compile ProFTPd.
- You now have ProFTPd! Since you will most likely use a variation of the basic configuration, copy basic.conf to /etc/proftpd.conf
cp /usr/src/proftpd-1.3.4a/sample-configurations/basic.conf /etc/proftpd.conf
- You can now configure ProFTPd by editing the proftp.conf file.